Skip to main content

Nintendo Switch Presentation Thoughts


 Last night, we saw an extensive look at the Nintendo Switch. We saw a lot, so let's dig in and talk about it all.




 1 2 Switch looks like something I'd never play. That doesn't mean it's necessarily going to be a bad game, but it seems like a very casual party game. I doubt I'll buy it, although I am actually tempted to due to the serious lack of launch titles, which I'll talk about later. I don't think 1 2 Switch looks bad, it just doesn't look like anything honestly. I'm sure some people will really enjoy it, but I doubt I'll be one of them.




 ARMS looks insanely good. I feel that due to the motion-heavy control scheme people might be overlooking it, but that would be a grave mistake. It seems to have solid gameplay, interesting characters, and a beautiful unique art style. ARMS is definitely number two on my most anticipated Switch games list.




 Snipperclips looks very interesting. While it seems simplistic at first, I can see some of these puzzles really causing me to have to think. I definitely plan to buy this game to take to school and play with my friends. The art style is also very cute and funny. I found myself laughing a lot while watching the Nintendo Treehouse stream because of the characters' facial expressions. With a price of a meager $20, I absolutely must have this game.

.


 Super Mario Odyssey is truly an enigma. Parts of it scream "jumping the shark" to me, but was there ever really a shark to jump? Mario's always been wacky, and I'm glad to see Nintendo going all out. In my opinion, the series has always shined when it's more open-ended, with Super Mario Sunshine being my favorite. It's amazing to finally see them return to this style. The last few 3D Mario games have felt more and more like the 2D games with 3D graphics, almost completely removing the camera. The return to form almost certainly guarantees this game will be great. I wish it was closer to launch, but spreading the games out does save our wallets, something this journalist will be abusing enough this March.



 Fast Racing RMX looks really interesting as well. While I'm not into many racing games, this seems so fast and frantic that I think I'd really like it. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe looks good too, but this actually seems more up my alley. It also seems like an okay substitute for F-Zero, something I know I lot of people are craving.



 Splatoon 2 surprised me. I thought it was going to be another port like Mario Kart Deluxe, and I was pretty shocked when I first saw the logo splash onto the screen at the end of the trailer. While I haven't played the first Splatoon, I've seen enough gameplay of it that I can tell they didn't show a lot of new content. I still have faith in the Squid Research Lab to deliver new information that will wipe those worries away.



 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild truly left me speechless after the event. I'm not trying to be a hypebeast, but I genuinely believe that Breath of the Wild will be one of the best games of all time. All complaints about the launch lineup aside, the fact that I'll be able to play this game in less than two months is what caused me to instantly preorder the Switch.



 ...and finally, the technology itself! While I doubt the Switch will be miles ahead of the tech inside Xbox and Playstation, I genuinely do not care about specs. I understand why people do, but as long as the games themselves are promising, I don't tend to go for specs. The Switch won't be packing anything insane in the console itself, but the Joy-Con controllers have me incredibly excited. They're loaded with interesting technology,  and I can not wait to get my hands on them.


 That's all of the strong feelings I currently have about the Switch. I didn't mention games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or PuyoPuyo Tetris because I don't really have much to say about them. What do you think about the Switch? Be sure to let me know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Every Nintendo Fan NEEDS To Buy 1-2 Switch

 1-2 Switch  is the only Switch exclusive launch title developed by Nintendo. If that and the fact that it actually looks like a pretty fun time don't sell you, I know what might. When presented with this information, your perception on the necessity of 1-2 Switch  very well may change. The reason you should buy this game is because of the Switch itself.  I'll get to that in a second. First, let's look at the launch of the Nintendo Switch. The games confirmed to be releasing are Breath of the Wild, 1-2 Switch, Just Dance 2017, Skylanders Imaginators, World of Goo, Binding of Isaac, Little Inferno, Super Bomberman R, I Am Setsuna, and Human Resource Machine . While many of these may end up being really good games, they've almost all already been released on other consoles, or will do so simultaneously with the Switch release. The only "made for Switch" games here are Super Bomberman R ...and 1-2 Switch .   Super Bomberman R  looks okay, but with Konami

Nintendo Switch Review

 Nintendo has always been innovative. They always try to do something new and creative. It doesn't always work, as the Wii U showed us, but they always try. No matter how you feel about Nintendo in recent years, you have to admit that they always try to do something unique. The Switch is no different.  The Nintendo Switch signals a new era of Nintendo. We all know that. However, at its core, it is still very much a Nintendo console, in the best and the worst ways. It comes with all the charm you'd expect. It has a lot of the barriers that are a Nintendo signature at this point. I'm speaking in very vague terms, but there is a lot to say about the Switch. Let's just dig into it.  The specs on the Switch are honestly nothing that impressive. However, as they always have, Nintendo makes the most of them. Although the screen is only 720p, much lower than the modern expectation, the games all look beautiful on the screen. The display is so crisp. I'm sure it

Fire Emblem Has The Potential To Become Huge

 We just got one of the best Nintendo Directs ever. Concise editing, to-the-point writing, awesome announcments, and an exciting voice-over by Yuri Lowenthal really made this presentation a home run. Let's dig into the meat of this greatness. Fire Emblem Gaiden 's original art  Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia  is my kind of remake. It's not as cut-and-dry as most game remakes these days. Obviously a game would need some polishing up on its 25th anniversary, but this is really a knockout job on Nintendo's part. The original game, Fire Emblem Gaiden , was released in Japan only, but it was a very important game for the series. The innovations of this game shaped the series into what it is today. Nintendo is honoring this by completely rebuilding it from the ground up. They've added beautiful anime cutscenes, 3D graphics, and even a fully 3D free-roam dungeon crawling mechanic. 25 years later and Intelligent Systems is still innovating. I certainly can